Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Understanding the Purpose

One of the hardest parts of being diabetic is trying to figure out why. Why did God give me diabetes? What is his plan, his purpose? How is he going to use this? My wonderful, sweet friend who has been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years, recently prayed with me. She begged and pleaded with God to heal me, to take it away, that she knew how hard it was, that she didn't want me to have to bear such a heavy burden. As we cried and prayed together, I realized I had been praying for answers, looking for a reason, a purpose, asking God to show me his plans, how he was going to work this together for his good. Then all the sudden it hit me- Faith. This is where my faith must take over my fear. Not that I'm really afraid of diabetes, because I'm not. My fear is that I wont do what I'm supposed to with this burden God has given me. Do I pray for healing? Do I pray to stay diabetic so I can help others?
Do I pray for understanding or psychic abilities to see see the future?
I realized just how dumb it was to ask God to show me what he planned to do with my diabetes. Knowing his plans would eliminate my need for Faith. No. Praying for complete understanding was not the way to go. 
All I could pray was God teach me. 
You see, I do not mind having diabetes. As ridiculous as that sounds, its true. Do I like daily injections and finger pokes? Do I like having to count everything I eat 24/7? Of course not. But I can handle it. Its really okay that I have type 1 diabetes, God has given me peace from day 1. I just want to learn. So when I pray it is not necessarily for healing, it is to ask for direction. God, how can you use me through this? Or, do you want to heal me for your glory? Don't get me wrong, healing would be GREAT, but that's not how Ive felt led to pray just yet.
My prayer is that God will teach me something through all of this. God has a purpose, but its not about understanding his purpose. Its about having faith that he has a plan, an expected end, and that he is going to teach you and make you stronger. So whatever your facing, remember your not the only one. Whether its T1D, sickness, family problems, whatever it may be, leave your ears and heart open to God. I just know he has a lesson to teach you.
Stay True, Kelby

1 comment:

  1. So true, girl, so true. That's definitely good to keep in mind for health issues AND other problems. You are so growing up! *sigh* ;-) love you

    ReplyDelete