Monday, September 21, 2015

Insurance = Assurance

Last Friday I was super ticked off and upset. Last time we talked to the medical supplier working with us to get my pump, they informed us that they would file with insurance and hopefully my pump would be on its way soon. That was almost a month and half ago. So after playing phone tag for about three days, I finally got the opportunity to ask what in the world was taking so long. The answer... made me mad.

My insurance denied my pump. They said it was because my blood sugar was under such good control. So in their opinion, I don't need a pump.

Obviously, the reps at my insurance company don't have T1D. The pump is not to give me better control because my A1C is bad, my last A1C was 5.6 ( Thank the good Lord!). The pump is so that I don't have to take a shot 4-6 times a day. Its for convenience, so that when I'm running late for school I can grab breakfast, press a couple buttons, and run out the door, instead of having to take the time to prep my needle, pen and skin for an injection. Plus- I just want a pump. Which may be selfish, I just think it would make my life a little easier. So how dare they say I don't need one?? You want me to have an unhealthy lifestyle before you will give me something to help maintain the already healthy situation of blood sugars? That's not fair.

All these thoughts and more have been running through my head the past 4 days. Until about 20 minutes ago.

Scrolling through Instagram I came across a diabetic account (check her out: @diabeticoutrage). One of the posts was about this young lady (the owner of the account) who's income does not support her medical bills, the bills resulting from type 1 diabetes. She posted about running out of Lantus and going without it for two nights, resulting in the development of ketones.

Holy cow. I'm a spoiled brat. Lord, forgive me when I complain about the insurance that gives me the ability to afford the medical supplies that keep me alive. Help me never to take my blessings for granted. I can live without a pump- I cant live without insulin. What a blessing it is to have the assurance that I can afford the supplies that sustain my life. 
~Blessed T1D

P.S. This is the first time I've mentioned Instagram, but I also have an account specifically linked to this blog. Check it out: @alittlebitofinsulin

1 comment:

  1. Way to change your perspective! I am sorry about your pump though :( I know it's dissapointing.

    ReplyDelete