Friday, October 16, 2020

How I Manage Diabetes without Insurance

Hey friends! 

It has been a minute. I want/need to get more regular about posting. I know no-one reads this blog currently, but I have to have some posts for people to back read when I get famous, right? 😉

I wanted to dedicate a post to explaining some of the programs and devices I use, that are cost effective, to help manage my medical conditions, as a chronically ill person without insurance. We are going to do this as a quick, 3 part post with a brief description of each one. 

Number One: GoodRX (Levothyroxine)
 
Okay, so I am sure some of you have heard of this. I am unsure of how it works, all I know is, my pharmacy has it on file and it automatically adds a discount to my prescriptions. The ONLY drug I purchase through my pharmacy is my Synthroid (Levothyroxine), which is what I take to manage my hypothyroidism. Its about $20 for a 90 day supply. Then where do I get my insulin and test strips you ask? This is a great lead-in to...

Number Two: RXSavers (Insulin)

Now, unfortunately, I am not completely sure how this works either. I did not sign up for this online, but rather, a third party insurance broker completed the paperwork for me when I signed up for private insurance at some point (my various attempts at gaining/keeping medical insurance is a WHOLE other story/post). Basically, the way it works is, I pay this company $50 a month, and they supply me with up to 7 prescriptions, which, of course, includes my insulin (I have not added levothyroxine, I'm not sure if I tried and it wasn't eligible or what) for FREE (well, minus the $50). I think that they petition various companies on behalf to enroll me in insulin assistance programs. The pros here are, of course, affordable insulin. They call me to confirm info, and make sure my Drs office receives the insulin, then I go pick it up. So far, I have not run out, and they automatically send it. They have also included pen needles in this order once. Also note: you are only eligible for the program is you make less than 46,000 yearly. Okay so, what about test strips? Cause paying for those suckers out of pocket would be INSANELY EXPENSIVE....

 Number Two: Center Health Nano Meter and Strips

I get 100 test strips a month, for just $20. I was skeptical of this at first, but honestly, it has been a life saver. The Nano is a meter that, get this, plugs into your phone (in Apple and Android options)! I have used it for several months with only 2 instances where I couldn't get it to work. Sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it going, but probably 90% of the time it works beautifully and seems to be accurate. This biggest disadvantage, of course, would be, your phone dying. A way around that is just keeping your phone charged (ha!) or having your close friends/family members that you are with often also have the app downloaded, so you can use their phones. I will give a FULL review of this product soon I hope. 

So that's all! Please know that I would NEVER recommend going without health insurance if you have a choice. Someday I will share my full background story on this and the circumstances that have led me to being without insurance for the time being. If you do, heaven forbid, someday get stuck without insurance, or are currently in the boat with me, I hope that this information will prove useful to you. 

Stay True!

No comments:

Post a Comment